To Foreign Students Applying for Admission (Department of Sociology)

The applicant who wishes to become a research student (kenkyu sei) should submit to the Department Office

  1. a sociological research proposal (in Japanese, within 4000 letters),
  2. be able to show the reason why the candidate wants to study in the Sociology Department, Kyoto University,
  3. have enough ability to read, write and communicate orally in Japanese (desirably to be able to write to us in Japanese),
  4. a curriculum vitae
  5. find scholarship or any kind of financial support by oneself. As above mentioned, it is not possible for us to help you acquire financial support. For the scholarship awarded by Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (ie: Monbukagakusho), please make an inquiry to the Japanese Embassy. They may also have some information about private scholarships.

The application would be graded pass or fail by the Departmental Committee.